Powderly Gets Results
  • Armed Assault to Murder
  • Result: Dismissed
  • Breaking & Entering
  • Result: Not Guilty
  • Unarmed Robbery
  • Result: Dismissed
  • OUI 2nd Offense
  • Result: Not Guilty
Powderly Probes Crime Lab
James Powderly on WPRI Channel 12
James Powderly on Digging Deeper
James Powderly on Channel 12
Home  >  Uncategorized  >  CASE UPDATE: Gina Giovangelo gets three years in jail

CASE UPDATE: Gina Giovangelo gets three years in jail


BARNSTABLE – Gina Giovangelo’s run has ended for at least the next three years.

A judge has sentenced Giovangelo, 19, to jail for running down and killing another woman last year on North Street in Hyannis.

Giovangelo, 19, pleaded guilty Friday in Barnstable Superior Court to motor vehicle homicide by negligent operation while operating under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death.

Judge Gary Nickerson sentenced Giovangelo to three years in the Barnstable County Correctional Facility with five years probation immediately after her release.

Giovangelo will lose her license for 15 years, according to a statement released by Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe.

Giovangelo struck and killed Lillian White, 47, of Hyannis the night of May 18, 2010 on North Street in Hyannis.

The teen told the police she was drinking cognac prior to the crash that killed White, who was crossing North Street in her wheelchair after buying a few items at a convenience store.

A Barnstable police report says Giovangelo drove her Nissan Maxima back to the Holly Tree Resort Hotel in West Yarmouth following the crash. Despite the car’s deployed air bags and White’s purse lodged briefly on the car’s windshield after impact, the police report states Giovangelo never slowed down or stopped.

After Giovangelo’s initial arrest, she made $10,000 bail then walked into Barnstable District Court for her arraignment. But she never made it in front of the judge. She told her lawyer she was going out for a cigarette and fled from the courthouse.

A 24-hour manhunt ensued and ended with Giovangelo leading police on a 45-minute chase, during which she ran barefoot through a section of Wareham woods.